When you’re typing through, the system checks your spelling and suggests a word. Unless you’ve rejected it by tapping the x button, the suggested word overwrites your word when you finish typing it followed by a space, punctuation mark or return character. If you feel that’s annoying, you can turn off Auto-Correction.
- Open the app Settings and select “General” on the left panel.
- Select “Keyboard” on the right panel.
- Turn off “Auto-Correction”.
Note: As an alternative, you can opt for an audio alert whenever the system suggests a word using the “Auto-Correction”. To do so, go to Settings > General > Accessibility, and turn on “Speak Auto-text”.
When you accidentally cut away some text and need to undo your last action using such apps as Mail or Notes, you can tap the Undo key on the Number keyboard. To redo, switch to the Symbol keyboard, then tap the Redo key. As an alternative, you can also shake your device to undo and redo, like this:
- After deleting some text, hold your iPad firmly with your both hands and give it a quick shake, and the Undo button slides in for you to undo.
- To redo, shake it again, but don’t drop your iPad!
If you often need to switch between the on-screen Alphabet and Number keyboards just to type quotation marks in a sentence, then why not check out below to find out more?
While on the Alphabet keyboard:
- ‘ (single quotation mark) => touch and hold the Comma key (,)
- ” (double quotation mark) => touch and hold the Full-stop key (.)
- Turn caps lock on/off => double-tap the Shift key to lock, single-tap to unlock.
- Special letters not on the keyboard? => touch and hold a key, then slide to choose a variation. (See the screenshot).
- Need just a digit or symbol from the Number keyboard? => touch the .?123 key and slide to a digit or symbol key, and you’re back to the Alphabet keyboard automatically.
While on the Number keyboard:
- Symbols not on the keyboard? => touch and hold a key, then slide to choose a variation, or tap the #+= key to find out more.
- Often type an equation? => touch and hold the #+= key, tap a sign and you’re back to the Number keyboard when you release the #+= key.
- Need just a letter from the Alphabet keyboard? => touch the ABC key and slide to a letter key, and you’re back to the Number keyboard automatically.
Instead of typing a period at the end of each sentence and follow by a space, you can double-tap the space bar, or tap once with two fingers, to get the same result.
Ironically the iPad soft keyboard doesn’t have a Tab key, but you can tap the space bar with three fingers at the same time to get three spaces, or four fingers to get four spaces. It works for five spaces too if you put five fingers together to press the space bar 🙂
Most of us know that we can select continuous files and folders by holding the Shift key and clicking on the first and then the last file/folder.
This also applies to selecting text on documents like MS Word, Notepad or any other text editor.
All you need to do is click on the first character, then press the shift, point to the last character, click there and release the Shift key.